Call for Submissions
We are excited to invite submissions for academic and professional papers, and digital posters for the Cumulus 2022 Conference “Design for Adaption” in Detroit, USA, 2-4 November.
We welcome submissions from individuals and groups in academia, industry and the public sector with a range of art and design-led approaches, methods, visions, ideas, theories and experiments that draw on adaptation to reduce vulnerabilities and foster resilience for any community, big or small.
2022 Theme: Design for Adaptation
The complexity and scale of sustainability topics had deepened and transformed from the early days when most projects looked at changes in environmental conditions. Climate change is exposing significant systemic and social-technological problems across different areas. Design for Adaptation comprises changing behaviors, systems, and environments to reduce our vulnerability to the harmful effects of a rapidly changing world, including climate change, automation, and income inequality.
Launch of the Call for paper
February 7, 2022
Paper Abstract submission deadline
April 11, 2022
Paper Abstract acceptance notification
May 16, 2022
Poster Abstract submission deadline
May 30, 2022
Full Paper submission deadline
June 13, 2022
Poster submission deadline
July 11, 2022
Full Paper final notification
July 18, 2022
Poster final notification
July 28, 2022
Formatted Poster & Camera-ready paper deadline
August 8, 2022
Types of Submissions:
- Academic papers, with a focus on research: theory, methodology, and findings, describing contributions to new knowledge.
- Professional papers that follow industry research methodology, with a focus on practical application.
- Digital posters, with a focus on the visualization of research problems from either an academic or a professional perspective.
Instructions for Authors
The language of the conference is English, and all submissions must be in English. Abstracts should be between 300-500 words and anonymized. All submissions will undergo double-blind peer review by an international team of peer reviewers. All accepted abstracts will be published in the Cumulus Detroit 2022 Conference program.
Requirements for accepted contributions and categories
- Academic papers: 4000 – 5000 words (references excluded)
- Professional and industry papers: 1500-3000 words
- Digital Poster: 16:9 horizontal aspect ratio. The most straightforward method for creating a Video Poster is using either Keynote or Powerpoint. When using Keynote or Powerpoint, you can export your solution as a Quicktime (see below)
All papers and posters will be submitted via the conference management system.
The authors’ names and host institutions will not be visible to reviewers. Any information relating to authors’ names and host institutions in the text must be redacted. Images of human faces and any other clues to personal and institutional identity should be pixelated at the review stage, whether or not permission has been granted by the subject to use them.
COPYRIGHT: By submitting full papers and digital posters for publication in the conference proceedings, authors are allowing for the publication of their work and assigning copyright of the submitted papers to the conference host and Cumulus. Authors’ traditional rights will not be infringed upon by assigning copyright in this manner, as authors retain the right to re-use the content of the papers.